February is Black History Month, and the African American Student Center, in partnership with organizations across campus, is hosting several events open to all CPP students, faculty, and staff members. The Alumni Association is also hosting two events.
Black History Month, like all months of cultural recognition, allow each of us to engage in continuous learning about members of our community. You are encouraged to attend as many as you can, and bring a friend or colleague along, too.
Dropping GEMS Series in the African American Student Center (Bldg. 95, Room L110)
- Black Activism with Dr. Williams, Feb. 8, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Black Hair with Jake Northington, Feb. 14, noon to 1 p.m.
- Psyches of Color, Feb. 15, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Black Filmmakers, Feb. 21, noon to 1 p.m.
Events for Students, Faculty, and Staff
- Karaoke Night, Feb. 2, 6 p.m. in the Bronco Student Center, Ursa Major B. Kick off the month with karaoke.
- Black Family Feud with the Black Faculty Staff Association (BFSA), Feb. 9, 6 p.m. in the Bronco Student Center, Andromeda A/B suite.
- Key Event: “Who We Are: A Chronicle of Racism in America” Screening and Discussion, Feb. 15, 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the Bronco Student Center, Ursa Major. The movie exposes the role of anti-Black racism throughout history up to the present, and attendees will be inspired and activated to be the next generation of activists, allies, and truth seekers. Lunch is provided. Registration required. Hosted in partnership with the Black Thriving Initiative.
- Movie Night with the Black Student Union (BSU), Feb. 16, 6 p.m. in the African American Student Center. Hang out with the BSU for some of the most popular movies in Black history.
- Let’s Take it Outside with BFSA, Feb. 22, noon to 2 p.m. in front of the BRIC. Have some exercise fun outside with BFSA members.
- Black History Experience, Feb. 28, noon to 2 p.m. in the Bronco Student Center, Ursa Minor. Celebrate our Black students as they become pioneers of Black history to close out the month.
Events Hosted by the Alumni Association
- Black Alumni & Friends Gathering, Feb. 18, 10 a.m. to noon at the Kellogg House. A fireside chat with the Black Alumni & Friends Chapter and James Bell of the Burns Institute. Registration required. Hosted by the Alumni Association.
- Dining with Black Alumni & Friends, Feb. 26, 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. in the Bronco Student Center, Ursa Minor. Alumna Tiffany Darrell will provide catering of foods reflective of the African Diaspora. Registration required. Hosted by the Alumni Association.
For more information, contact the African American Student Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 909-869-5006. For alumni-hosted events, contact the Alumni Association at 909-869- 2963.