Menstrual product dispensers will be installed in 23 buildings starting around mid-May in the first phase of a two-stage project.
The dispensers, which are being installed in the first floor of all women’s and gender-free restrooms in the targeted buildings, would adhere to provisions of AB-367 (Menstrual Equity for All Act of 2021) that was signed by Gov. Gavin Newsom in October 2021.
The buildings receiving dispensers are:
- Building One
- Don B. Huntley of Agriculture (Building 2)
- Science Laboratory (Building 3)
- Biotechnology Building (Building 4)
- College of Letters, Arts & Social Sciences (Building 5)
- College of Education & Integrative Studies (Building 6)
- College of Environmental Design (Building 7)
- College of Science (Building 8)
- College of Engineering (Building 9)
- Art Department and Engineering Annex (Building 13)
- University Library (Building 15)
- Engineering Laboratories (Building 17)
- Kellogg Arena (Building 43)
- Apparel Merchandising & Management (Building 45)
- Student Health Services (Building 46)
- The Collins College of Hospitality Management (Buildings 79 and 80)
- Interim Design Center (Building 89
- University Office Building (Building 94)
- Student Services Building (Building 121)
- College of Business Administration (Buildings 162, 163 and 164)
The 23 buildings in the first phase of the project were prioritized based on number of occupants, facility usage and traffic volume. The dispensers will be stocked with tampons and feminine hygiene pads.
In all, 51 menstrual product dispensers will be installed in the first year of the project and are expected to be operational by the summer. Another 47 dispensers are expected to be installed in 28 buildings in the second phase of the project, which is scheduled to start in early 2023.
Custodial and Recycling Services will be tasked with stocking and refilling the dispensers once the contractor completes the installation. Facilities Planning & Management is absorbing the installation costs from its existing budget to provide a legally mandated base service.