Cereal magnate W.K. Kellogg began an Arabian horse breeding program nearly a century ago on the land that is now Cal Poly Pomona’s campus.
Learn how this tradition began, how Kellogg ensured it would continue when his winter home eventually became Cal Poly Pomona, and more about the W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Center’s history in the video above.
There were numerous hurdles from the time Kellogg purchased 377 acres in Pomona in 1925 to the time the land and its Arabian horses were passed to the state of California in 1949 to be used for educational purposes, including a stretch in the 1940s when it was operated by the U.S. War Department and later the U.S. Department of Agriculture.