University Library plans to welcome students back to campus with a Pokémon GO-themed scavenger hunt, games with the chance to win prizes and an opportunity to meet the librarians.
The annual event, in its fifth year, will run Oct. 3 to Oct. 7.
“It’s outreach to students, welcoming them back to school and letting them know about the services we have available for them,” says Olufunke Oluyeme, the library’s administrative support coordinator and a member of the Welcome Week committee.
Students also will get a chance to view the “Search-it-up” video shot during the summer that highlights the library’s resources and how to best make use of them for research purposes. The week also includes a book sale and a viewing party for the upcoming vice presidential debate.
“There are 10 people on the committee representing all areas of the library all working together to make sure we welcome students back from summer,” Oluyeme says. “We just want them to know we’re here for them.”
Monday, Oct. 3 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Concierge Desk, 1st Floor
- Pokémon GO Scavenger Hunt
- Search-it-up Video
- Button/Badge Making
Tuesday, Oct. 4
- Meet your librarian – 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. , Faculty Reading Room, 2nd Floor
- Prize Fishing Game – Noon to 1 p.m.
- Vice Presidential debate – 5 p.m.
Wednesday, Oct. 5
- Back-to-school Book Sale – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Starbucks Patio
- Meet your librarian – 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Faculty Reading Room, 2nd Floor
Thursday, Oct. 6
- Meet your librarian – 2 to 4 p.m., Faculty Reading Room, 2nd Floor
- Pokémon GO scavenger hunt ends at 11:30 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 7
- Announcing winners, prizes will be given