Ten presentations by Cal Poly Pomona students stood out from a crowded field and earned spots for the 30th Annual California State University Student Research Competition.
A total of 128 oral presentations were judged by a panel of 56 alumni and faculty members at the fourth annual Cal Poly Pomona Student Research, Scholarship and Creative Activities Conference on March 4. In addition, there were 32 poster displays and a dance performance by students in the colleges of agriculture, science and education and integrative studies.
“As the number of Cal Poly Pomona students participating in research, scholarship and creative activities continue to grow, so does the caliber of their work,” said Professor Winny Dong, director of the Office of Undergraduate Research. “We are proud that these students will be representing Cal Poly Pomona at the system-wide research competition.”
The 20 students and their research projects will represent Cal Poly Pomona and travel to CSU Bakersfield for the CSU-wide research competition on April 29-30.
“Chancellor Timothy White will be attending the competition in Bakersfield, and I think he will be very impressed by what he sees,” said Frank Ewers, associate vice president for research. “Our students are remarkably creative and innovative — they will be very competitive at the conference.”
In addition, Cynthia Tessler, who is the animal care facility coordinator in the Office of Research, was awarded the Second Annual Distinguished Research, Scholarship and Creative Activities Staff Award for 2016 at the conference.
Here are the student presenters, their research projects and faculty mentors:
- Paulina Villanueva, Jonathan Tringali and Sam Ho; “Efficacy in Mice of a Liposomal Influenza M2e Vaccine Containing the TLR3 Adjuvant, dsRNA”; Professor Jill Adler-Moore.
- Kelly Tolle and Sarah Angelia; “Using Mobile Apps to Foster Brand Loyalty in Millennials”; Professor Jae Min Jung.
- Tiffany Yang, Rafael Martin Del Campo, Julia Conchas, Ali Hasan and Giselle Hernandez; “Calpollini ─ A Rice Flour-Based Gluten-Free Pasta Enriched with Protein and Dietary Fiber”; Professor Yao Olive Li.
- Ashley Van Vilet; “Knowledge of California Residents on Citrus-Greening Disease”; Professors Valerie Mellano and Anna Soper.
- Thang Vo; “Development, Training and Implementation of Vehicle to Grid Functionality”; Professor Ha Le.
- Travis Barrett; “The Egocentric Presidency: How Presidents Use Language to Communicate with the American Public”; Professor Mario Guerrero.
- Julian Andrews; “Discovering Massive Runaway Stars with Infrared Bow Shock Nebulae: First Results”; Professor Matthew Povich.
- Sutine Sujittosakul, Elvin Sepanosian, and Micheal Huluf; “Diffusion Model of Aluminide Coatings”; Professor Vilupanur Ravi.
- Violeta Villagomez; “The Songs We Sing: A Dreamer’s Lyric (1985-2015)”; Professor Marta Albalá Pelegrín.
- Eleana Guardado and Jennifer Rubio; “Evaluation of Lipidated and Non-Lipidated CDN Adjuvants in a gD Peptide Liposomal Vaccine for HSV-2 Murine Intravaginal Infection”; Professor Jill Adler-Moore.