Members of the presidential Strategic Planning Steering Committee have been appointed from a broad cross-section of the campus community.
The committee is charged with developing a new University Strategic Plan that will serve as a blueprint for Cal Poly Pomona’s future.
“The Strategic Planning Steering Committee will gain input from the campus community and other stakeholders in shaping the campus’ vision and strategic priorities,” says President Soraya M. Coley. “Engagement will be critical to the success of this initiative.”
Committee members will also lead efforts to evaluate the university’s polytechnic identity and the advantages it provides to students and graduates. The polytechnic identity is one of four key questions facing the committee. Cal Poly Pomona is one of only two polytechnic campuses in the California State University system.
The committee is chaired by Coley and co-chaired by Provost Sylvia A. Alva. Lisa Alex, chair and professor of the chemistry and biochemistry department, has been named the presidential fellow for the committee.
The members of the Strategic Planning Steering Committee are:
- Soraya M. Coley, university president (committee chair)
- Sylvia A. Alva, provost and vice president of academic affairs (committee co-chair)
- Lisa Alex, professor and presidential fellow for the committee
- Lea Dopson, dean of The Collins College of Hospitality Management
- Sep Eskandari, professor and chair of the Academic Senate
- Jun Myers, associate professor and Academic Senate representative
- Francelina Neto, professor and Academic Senate representative
- Martin Sancho-Madriz, professor and Academic Senate representative
- Julian Herrera, president of Associated Students Inc.
- Bryce von Helms, ASI senator from the College of Agriculture
- Rachel P. Dominguez, president of Staff Council
- Sarah De La Parra, Staff Council member
- Diane Miller, Director, Cybersecurity, Northrop Grumman
- Joan Robinson-Berry, Vice President, Supplier Management, Share Service Group, Boeing
In addition, there is an ad-hoc group that that will provide advice and support to the committee but will not vote on issues. The members are:
- Bedford Macintosh, vice president of University Advancement
- John McGuthry, vice president and CIO, Information Technology
- Paul Storey, executive director of the Cal Poly Pomona Foundation
- Kathy Street, acting vice president of Student Affairs
- Benjamin F. Quillian, acting vice president and CFO for Administrative Affairs
- Gary A. Hamilton, chief of staff for the president
- Paulette Blumberg, executive assistant to the president
- Esther Chou Tanaka, director of Public Affairs
The work of the committee will conclude in late fall and seek to build on the progress of the previous master plan and align new goals with current university strengths.
Huron Consulting Group has been retained to support the Strategic Planning Steering Committee in its facilitation of this process. The firm has consulted with the CSU system and several campuses on their strategic plans.