A grease fire in the kitchen area of the Bronco Student Center forced the closure and evacuation of the building Monday afternoon, but no injuries were reported.
The fire broke out in the new Bronco Bowl restaurant at 2 p.m., causing the sprinkler system to activate. The building was evacuated as University Police and Los Angeles County fire crews responded to the scene. Fire officials cleared the building for re-entry about 2:45 p.m., and it has now reopened.
Peet’s Coffee, Round Table Pizza and Poly Fresh are open for business, but the remaining restaurants in the BSC will remain closed until county health officials can inspect them.
The fire is estimated to have caused $20,000 in overall damages and $5,000 in ruined food.