A new vice president of administrative affairs, an undergraduate research office and the Rose Float top this week’s video update from President Ortiz.
Steven Garcia was appointed as the next vice president for administrative affairs. Garcia, who begins Jan. 6, has 10 years of leadership experience in the CSU and other universities. He succeeds Dr. Ed Barnes, who is retiring on Dec. 1 after more than 30 years here at Cal Poly Pomona.
The new Office of Undergraduate Research will assist students in undergraduate projects and provide support to faculty. The new office is located in Building 1.
The 2014 Rose Float is taking shape. San Luis Obispo students drove down their half to the Cal Poly Pomona Rose Float Lab on Oct. 26. Since then, the Rose queen and her court have toured the campus and visited with the Rose Float team. This year’s float marks the Cal Poly universities’ 66th consecutive entry in the Rose Parade.
In other news:
- The cross-country teams are competing this Saturday at the West Region Championships.
- The volleyball team gave Coach Rosie Wegrich a birthday present last week in the form of her 700th career win, fifth-highest among active coaches in Division II.
- The campus will be closed next Monday for Veterans Day. The annual Veterans Day Commemoration will take place at noon, Tuesday, Nov. 12, in the Quad.
- On Wednesday, Nov. 6., Music Professor Nadia Shpachenko will perform with violinist Martin Chalifour and pianist Kevin Fitz-Gerald at 8 p.m. in the Music Recital Hall. The chamber music performance will feature the world premiere of Adam Schoenberg’s “Bounce,” written for two pianos and percussion.
- On Thursday, Nov. 7, the University Library will host “Music from 1938” in honor of Cal Poly Pomona’s 75th anniversary. Professor David Kopplin and his band will perform at noon on the third floor.
To read the entire video message, download a PDF of the transcript.