(UPDATED 6/4/2011, 12:30 p.m.) The campus community is asked to conserve electricity and prepare for the possibility of intermittent power outages this weekend.
Southern California Edison must perform urgent repairs on an electrical substation that provides power to the core campus community. Repair work will begin at 6 a.m. on Saturday, June 4, and is expected to be completed within 18 to 24 hours. Eucalyptus Lane will be closed during repairs. Generators should be online by 8 a.m. to provide power for essential functions.
* UPDATE (6/4/2011,12:30 p.m.): Due to generator load limits, buildings that stay powered may change. Sites that have priority to remain open include: *
- Residential halls and suites.
- Buildings that maintain the campus network data and house animals.
- Buildings where classes will be conducted.
- The University Library and Bronco Student Center.
- Campus dining facilities.
- Kellogg West Conference Center and Hotel.
- Areas where events are planned.
Although not anticipated, power might be interrupted while generators are running, so the campus community is asked to plan for that possibility.
- Students who live in the halls and suites should take additional precautions, such as charging cell phones and laptops Friday night. To learn more, read Tips for Students.
- Faculty and staff should turn off computers and workstations Friday evening. In addition, perishables, such as food in refrigerators, should be removed. Read more in Tips for Faculty/Staff.
For more information, read the Frequently Asked Questions page or consult with a supervisor or department chair.