Alumnus and lifelong university supporter Lt. Col. James “Jim” H. Jones died Oct. 26 at age 90 after a long illness. A retired U.S. Air Force lieutenant colonel, Jones resided in Laguna Woods.
He attended UC Berkeley and received a bachelor’s degree in 1941. After a stint in the Air Force, he spent two years at the Voorhis Unit of Cal Poly and received a bachelor’s degree in citrus fruit production 1951. He also attended UC Berkeley for his master’s degree.
In 1962, he established the James Jones Art Collection, which was on long-term loan at Cal Poly Pomona and was eventually donated to the university. In 1964, he added to the collection a series of ink and clay pieces, comprising the Dee Roy and Mary M. Jones Collection, named in honor of his parents whose interest in art he inherited. Jones continued to sponsor both collections during his lifetime.
Jones funded an endowment to perpetuate the annual Ink and Clay competition and exhibit, which celebrated its 35th year in the spring. The exhibition includes prints, drawings, ceramic ware and clay sculptures by artists from the Western United States.
An active member of the alumni Voorhis Park Committee, Jones donated $30,000 to endow a maintenance fund for the park. He also contributed toward a scholarship named after the former Voorhis administrator, Harold O. Wilson.
Jones was a member of the University Educational Trust, President’s Council, Endowment Society, Founders’ Society and the Kellogg/Voorhis Heritage Society. He was a charter member and life member of the Cal Poly Pomona Friends of the Library and lifetime member of the Cal Poly Pomona Alumni Association. In 1997, he received the Distinguished Alumni Partner Award.
Jones is survived by his life partner, Bruce M. Jewett, and older brother John, who retired from Cal Poly Pomona as director of student recruitment and placement.
An on-campus memorial service is in the planning stages, and details will be announced on PolyCentric as information becomes available.