|The Cal Poly Pomona women's tennis team had the highest cumulative GPA.|
Cal Poly Pomona student-athletes surpassed a cumulative 3.0 grade point average for the recently completed 2007 fall quarter with a quarterly 3.02 GPA. It marks the first time the university's student-athletes have exceeded that standard.
“We are very proud of our student-athletes dedication in the classroom and in every competition,” said Cal Poly Pomona director of Athletics Brian Swanson. “The outstanding academic success in the fall 2007 quarter is a credit to our student-athletes, coaches, athletic staff and university administration who work tirelessly in enhancing the Broncos' experience. It is particularly rewarding to see how our academic enhancements have helped move our programs forward.”
The Broncos had 47 of the university's 226 student-athletes (21 percent) make the Dean's List in the fall quarter, and 124 student-athletes (55 percent) had grade point averages of 3.0 or higher.
“Our student-athletes have established a pretty meaningful accomplishment,” said Cal Poly Pomona academic counselor Scott Tsuji. “These results not only reflect the fine academic work done by our student-athletes, but they are also indicative of how well Cal Poly Pomona supports and facilitates the balance between academics and athletics that really defines the Division II philosophy.”
Some of the stellar accomplishments include:
- All six women's teams had a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Eleven of the 14 returning volleyball members had a higher fall quarterly GPA than their overall GPA.
- Women's tennis had the highest team GPA (3.40).
- The women's basketball team showed the most improvement, climbing from a 2.46 2007 spring quarter to a 3.23 showing this fall. Seven members were named to the Dean's List.
- The highest men's GPA belonged tomen's soccer (3.01).
For a list of the Broncos who made the Dean's List visit, http://dsa.cpp.edu/athletics/default.asp?nfid=2767.