Transfer Day 2007 Sees Attendance Skyrocket

About 800 people participated in
Transfer Day 2007, nearly double 2006's attendance.

Cal Poly Pomona's Transfer Day 2007 set an attendance record when 787 prospective students and guests visited the campus March 9.

Transfer Day, which is hosted by the Office of Admissions & Outreach, has seen its attendance steadily rise since the fall of 2002 when it began using a database e-mail service to contact prospective students and guidance counselors at community colleges.

The largest year-to-year climb occurred this year, when the annual event practically doubled in size.

“We had to move the event from the Bronco Student Center to Kellogg Gym because the RSVPs just kept coming in,” says Gretchen Anderson, admission counselor and coordinator of Transfer Day. “This is a great event that allows prospective students to see the benefits of Cal Poly Pomona.”

The daylong event provides an overview of the academic programs, services and organizations on campus. Prospective students are also given an opportunity to meet with faculty from their respective colleges and to tour the university.

Heli Castaneda, a finance real estate & law major admitted for fall 2007, attended Transfer Day. He enjoyed meeting with Javad Kashefinejad, chair of the FRL department.

“Speaking to someone from my department was the most valuable part of the day for me. He helped me realize that majoring in FRL would open lots of doors for me,” Castaneda says. “Taking a tour of the campus was great too. It's a little overwhelming coming from the community college and Transfer Day helped alleviate some of my fears about transferring.”  

Candice Brown, a liberal studies student transferring from Citrus College, also found Transfer Day worthwhile.

“Taking a campus tour was an eye-opening experience. I'd never been to the campus before, and now I'm really excited about starting there in the fall,” she says. “I really loved the small group session with the faculty.”

Several people attended Transfer Day individually and many came in groups. Ten Southern California-based community colleges arranged for buses or vans to bring their students to Cal Poly Pomona.

Outreach has been more effective using Hobsons EMT Connect 2 – a Web-based inquiry manager, contact database, and e-mail/Web communication system – to contact prospective students, Anderson says.

“Ten years ago it was common to have 50 people attend Transfer Day,” she says. “Using Connect 2 saves the university a tremendous amount of postage and improves communication to our prospective students.”