Twenty-one retiring staff members were recognized with Distinguished Management & Staff Emeritus Awards on Monday, Oct. 23.
Established in 1981, this honor is given to retiring staff employees who have worked at Cal Poly Pomona for at least 10 years (retiring between July 1, 2005 and June 30, 2006) and have demonstrated outstanding job performance, support of university programs and involvement in campus activities.
“I truly believed all the recipients are proud to have been selected, and we at Staff Council were happy to present these awards,” says Becky Pepping, president of Staff Council.
As award winners, emeriti are granted certain privileges such as free parking, use of the University Library, free admission to campus events (i.e., athletic, music and theatre events and the Arabian Horse Show), use of campus recreational, dining services and social facilities (including gym, swimming pool and Bronco Student Center), a Cal Poly Pomona e-mail account and discount coupons.
During the ceremony university President Michael Ortiz presented each honoree with a plaque. The honorees are:
- Genevieve Apodaca, director of Human Resources, Cal Poly Pomona Foundation
- Charlene Ashborn, ASA II, CLASS, Dean's Office
- Patricia Farris, vice president, Administrative Affairs
- Gloria McLean, telecommunications service analyst, Telecommunications
- Cindy Mereno, ASC II, Admissions & Outreach
- Thomas Moisi, instructional support tech II, Biology
- Sue Moore, AA/NE, Electrical Engineering
- Judy Peterson, AA/NE, Dean of Students
- Arthur Phelps, broadcast engineer, MediaVision
- Gregorio Ramirez, equipment systems spec., University Library
- Daniel Rozboril, software licensing administrator, I&IT Support
- Beverly Schuster, ASC II, Physics
- Ronald Simons, associate vice president, University Advancement
- Marsha Smith, AA/NE, Registrar's Office
- Dianne Soldo, ASA II, Admissions & Outreach
- Minerva Thomas, AA/NE, College of Business Administration, Dean's Office
- Rosalie Thompson-Giroux, ASC I, Geological Sciences
- Donna Vargas, computer operator, I&IT Support
- Andrea Vestey, instructional support tech III, Biology
- Anne Walton, ASA I, Telecommunications
- Birgit (Rose) Way, ASC I, Admissions & Outreach
Also Oct. 23, the 2006 Amelia Hammond/Staff Council Scholarship winners were honored. They are:
- Fernando Estrada, coordinator of the Pride Center, Office of Student Life & Cultural Centers
- Marsha Madison, administrative analyst, Collins School of Hospitality Management, Dean's Office
- Dana N. Martin, admissions analyst, Admissions & Outreach
- Debbie Stone, imaging systems specialist, Graphic Communications/Administrative Affairs