|Professor Jose Vadi will provide a demonstration of the cuatro, a small 10-string guitar, on Oct. 13.|
|Wei-Lun Chang plays Rachmaninoff's Prelude in G monor, Op. 23, No. 5, during a Music Hour “Spring Showcase.”|
|The Cal Poly Pomona Jazz Band will perform with vocalist Rowena Dineros on Nov. 29.|
This fall, the Music department will present a lineup of on-campus performances featuring faculty, staff, students and guest artists from a wide range of musical genres.
Special events this season include a cuatro (10-string guitar) demonstration by Jose Vadi on Thursday, Oct. 13, at noon in the Music Building, Room 101. In addition, Cal Poly Pomona's chapter of the Music Entertainment Industry Student Association will host the Western Regional Conference on Oct. 22, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The one-day conference brings together music industry professionals for workshops, performances and panel discussions.
Other events this season include:
(Held in the Music Recital Hall at 8 p.m. unless noted. Tickets are $7.)
- Friday, Nov. 4 – The Phillip Clarke Memorial Piano Scholarship Fundraiser will honor the recently retired Cal Poly Pomona instructor with performances by music students, alumni and faculty. The event will benefit the piano program.
- Friday, Nov. 18 – “Absolutely Programmatic” features performances by David Cahueque on guitar and Janet Noll on piano.
- Monday, Nov. 21 – Lori Huff will direct the Digital Music MIDI Ensemble in a concert.
- Tuesday, Nov. 29 – The Cal Poly Pomona Jazz Band will perform with vocalist Rowena Dineros. David Kopplin will direct the concert.
- Wednesday, Nov. 30 – The Cal Poly Pomona Concert Band will stage a show under the direction of Buddy Clements.
- Thursday, Dec. 1 – The Kellogg Chamber Singers and University Concert Choir will perform together under the direction of Iris Levine and Lawrence Fitz.
- Friday, Dec. 2 – The Cal Poly Pomona Guitar Ensemble will play under the direction of Peter Yates.
FREE NOON-HOUR CONCERTS
(Held at noon at varying locations. Free.)
- Thursday, Oct. 13 – Jose Vadi will provide a demonstration of the cuatro, a small 10-string guitar. Music Building, Room 101.
- Thursday, Oct. 20 – Fall Showcase Music Hour, directed by Susan Burns. Music Recital Hall.
- Tuesday, Nov. 15 – Cal Poly Pomona Soul Ensemble, directed by Ronald Muldrow. University Quad.
- Thursday, Nov. 17 – Digital Music MIDI Ensemble, directed by Lori Huff. University Theatre Breezeway.
- Tuesday, Nov. 22 – Cal Poly Pomona Salsa Ensemble, directed by Gustavo Gil. University Quad.
- Thursday, Dec. 1 – Kellogg Percussion Ensemble, director by Bill Schlitt. Music Recital Hall Landing.
For more information about music events, call Teresa Kelly at (909) 869-3554.