The Cal Poly Pomona Department of Music kicks off its Fall 2018 series of events with a performance of the CPP Wind Ensemble & Symphonic Winds.
The concert is at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 17 and features the works of several contemporary classical music composers including Schoenberg, Oquin, Holst, Daugherty, Nishimura, Biedenbender, Mackey and Markowski. Tickets are $10.
Other key performances this season include the following:
- 18: The CPP Jazz Band, Combo & Polytonix Vocal Jazz Ensemble perform under the direction of Dave Kopplin, Jeff Miley, & Kendra Vuk, with special guest artist Tina Raymond, percussion. Tickets $10
- 23: “Charles Lindsley Memorial Vocal Scholarship Fundraiser Lend me a tenor…and more!” is what this year’s annual event is dubbed. Music students, alumni, faculty and staff perform vocal works in honor of Professor Charles Lindsley. Proceeds benefit student scholarships. Tickets $15/$10
- 25: The Shpachenko & Friends Chamber Music Festival welcomes special guest artist Sarah Cahill to present a free piano master class at 1 p.m. and a piano recital at 8 p.m. The New York Times recently called Cahill “a sterling pianist and an intrepid illuminator of the classical avant-garde.” Recital Tickets $15/$10
- 30: During the Music Hour Showcase, students present vocal and instrumental performances in a variety of musical styles at noon. Admission is free, and the event is open to the public.
- 8: Join the Cal Poly Pomona community as we celebrate Veteran’s Day and honor veterans near and far. Noon concert is free.
- 8: CPP Philharmonic Orchestra & OPUS String Ensemble present KALEIDOSCOPE. Alejandro Barajas, winner of the CPP Philharmonic 2018 Concerto Scholarship Competition, will perform the first movement of Chin-Cheng Lin’s Marimba Concerto No. 1, subtitled “One World. One Dream. One Love.” The first installment of the Fleisher Orchestra Music Project, “City Trees” by American composer Priscilla Alden Beach, will also be performed. Tickets $10
All events are in the Music Recital Hall and at 8 p.m. unless otherwise indicated.
Visit the music department’s events page at https://www.cpp.edu/~class/music/calendar-of-events.shtml for a full calendar of events and more information.
Tickets are available online at csupomona.tix.com or the music box office Building 24, room 188 weekdays from noon to 1 p.m. and one hour before concert time.