The revelry that is BroncoFusion returns next week, welcoming new and returning students with fairs, a food truck festival and a performance by a Grammy-nominated music artist.
The annual free event gets underway Tuesday, Sept. 22, with a tech fair and continues Thursday, Sept. 24, and Friday, Sept. 25. The closing night concert will feature B.o.B, a hip-hop artist and producer known for hits such as “Airplanes” and “So Good!”
Erin DeRosa, senior coordinator of orientation services and BroncoFusion co-chair, says last year’s event drew around 5,000 for the concert and other activities. BroncoFusion is a collaboration between many departments on campus and builds on the orientation activities the campus hosted during the summer, she says.
“We kind of look at this as an extension of orientation,” DeRosa says. “BroncoFusion is a welcome back for all those new students and the current students as well.”
In addition to the Get Connected Tech Fair, students are invited to “Take Care of Business” at various departments, including Admissions and Outreach, the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships, the Bronco Recreation & Intramural Complex (BRIC), the Registrar’s Office and more during open houses.
On Thursday, 27 departments on campus will participate in the Resource Fair. The event also will feature a Cal Poly Pomona student deejay from noon to 1 p.m.
Friday’s festivities will include a club fair featuring nearly 130 campus organizations, women’s and men’s soccer games, the B.o.B concert and a pool party with a deejay at the BRIC.
Sarah Bauer, associate director of programs for the Associated Students Inc., says students chose B.o.B to perform through an online poll. Other artists who were under consideration include the Coldwater Kids, Hoodie Allen, Portugal the Man, Lights and Jay Sean. The genres ranged from alternative to hip-hop to electronic dance music, with B.o.B finishing as the top vote getter.
“It seems to be pretty popular with the students,” Bauer says of the online voting process. “There’s a lot of excitement around who the artist is going to be.”
The BroncoFusion schedule includes:
Tuesday, Sept. 22
- 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. – Get Connected Tech Fair
- 3 to 5 p.m. – Department open houses where students can inquire about photo ID pickup, foundation, BRIC registration and the bookstore
- 3:30 to 5:30 – Transfer welcome BBQ (Pre-registered attendees only)
Thursday, Sept. 24
- 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. – Information booths at various locations
- 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. – Resource Fair
- Noon to 1 p.m. – U-hour music
Friday, Sept. 25
- 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Information booths at various locations
- 4 to 7 p.m. – Club Fair
- 4 to 11 p.m. – Food Truck Fair
- 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. – Women’s soccer game
- 7 to 9 p.m. – Men’s soccer game
- 7 to 10 p.m. – Concert
- 10 p.m. to midnight – Pool party at the BRIC