Staff Council has honored four employees with scholarships and recognized 16 retiring staff members who earned emeritus status.
The recipients of the 2014 Amelia Hammond/Staff Council Scholarships are:
- Pearl Viggers – Department of Biological Sciences
- Damien Trimbach – University Housing Services
- Dana Martin – Admissions & Outreach
- Curtis Carpenter – Systems and Data Center, Information Technology
Staff Council awards the scholarships to help staff members with career development or personal job improvement education that is not covered by release time or fee-waiver programs. It raises funds for the scholarships through an annual Valentine’s Day drawing.
The scholarships are named after Amelia Hammond, a Cal Poly Pomona employee from 1962 to 1980 who served on Staff Council and founded the scholarship program in 1978. Hammond died in June 2003.
The 16 retiring staff members who earned emeritus status are:
- Terry Allen, University Police
- Ed Barnes, vice president of Administrative Affairs
- Barbara Brunson, Test Center
- Karen Brzoska, Media Vision
- Olga Campbell, Human Resource Services
- Tom Delk, Facilities Management
- Lucy Garza, University Library
- Fay Hatley, Bronco Bookstore
- Roger Humes, Engineering – awarded posthumously
- Olga Johnson, Learning Resource Center
- Marta Juszczak, University Library
- Bob Karmann, Animal and Veterinary Sciences
- Lisa Lucio, College of Extended University
- Richard Marquecho, Facilities Management
- Patricia Medina, University Police
- Denton Mosier, IT Operations
- Kathy Odenwald, University Advancement
- Cori Spencer, Department of Geography
- Melissa Stocking, Learning Resource Center
Established in 1981, emeritus status is given to retiring employees who have worked at Cal Poly Pomona for at least 10 years and have demonstrated outstanding job performance, support of university programs and involvement in campus activities.
Emeriti are granted certain privileges such as free parking, use of the University Library, free admission to campus events, use of campus recreational, dining services and social facilities, a Cal Poly Pomona e-mail account and various discount coupons.
The scholarship recipients and retiring employees were honored at a Nov. 18 reception.