Fifteen management and staff members were honored with the emeritus title, and four staff members received the Amelia Hammond/Staff Council Scholarship at a ceremony on Monday, Nov. 8.
The emeritus honor, established in 1981, is given to retiring staff employees who have worked at Cal Poly Pomona for at least 10 years and have demonstrated outstanding job performance, support of university programs and involvement in campus activities.
Emeriti staff receive privileges such as free parking, use of the University Library, free admission to campus events (i.e., athletic, music and theatre events and the Arabian Horse Show), use of campus recreational, dining services and social facilities (including gym, swimming pool and Bronco Student Center), a Cal Poly Pomona e-mail account and discount coupons.
The Amelia Hammond/Staff Council Scholarship was established in 1978 to assist staff members in career development or personal job improvement education. Each winner receives a $300 scholarship.
The recipients are:
Amelia Hammond/Staff Council Scholarship
- Ida Esquivel, College of Letters, Arts & Social Sciences
- Whitney Lopez, I&IT Systems
- Daniel Mello, Facilities Management
- Kate Smith, Arabian Horse Center
Management & Staff Emeritus
- Sherry Bell, 10 years, Student Life
- Linda Bruner, 23 years, I&IT
- Joann Karns, 26 years, I&IT
- Jerry Lerma, 31 years, I&IT
- Irene Martinez, 32 years, Athletics
- Richard Marvin, 10 years, Environmental Health & Safety
- Richard Moran, 40 years, Plant Science
- Jonnie Owens, 24 years, Academic Programs
- Daniel Ponder, 20 years, University Police
- Diane Sands, 12 years, Violence Prevention
- Linda Schmidt, 20 years, Animal Science
- Bill Sing, 21 years, I&IT
- Leo Verdugo, 27 years, University Police
- Katherine Wells, 30 years, Graphic Communications
- Muriel Young, 20 years, I&IT