Caligiuri named to 50th Anniversary Team

Paul Caligiuri

Men's soccer coach Paul Caligiuri is one of 12 people to be named to the NCAA Division I Men's Soccer 50th Anniversary Team. The team includes 11 former student-athletes and a coach.

According to an NCAA press release, more than 100 student-athletes and 10 head coaches were considered for the team. The list was narrowed down to 32 and six, respectively, through a voting subcommittee. The finalists were then put on an online ballot and voted on by public through NCAA.com.

“I am honored to be recognized by the fans of college soccer and the NCAA,'' Caligiuri said. “I'm humbled to be included among a group of men who distinguished themselves as the best in the 50 years of NCAA Division I men's soccer. The unforgettable experiences I shared with my teammates and coaches at UCLA are among the best times I've had in my life.''

Caligiuri, who played his collegiate soccer at UCLA (1982-86), earned first team NSCAA All-America accolades with the Bruins in 1985 and 1986 and was named the 1986 Soccer America Player of the Year. He led the Bruins to the 1985 NCAA title, the program's first-ever in soccer.

Caligiuri followed his successful collegiate career with a legendary career as a member of the U.S. National Team. In the 1990 CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying Tournament, he scored the historic goal against Trinidad & Tobago that earned the United States a World Cup berth for the first time in 40 years. His goal is known as “The Goal Heard Round The World.'' Caligiuri played in the 1990 and 1994 World Cups, as well as the 1988 Olympics, and appeared in 114 games with the U.S. National Team. He is a member of the National Soccer Hall of Fame.

The 11 student-athletes who make up the NCAA Division I Men's Soccer 50th Anniversary team are: Caligiuri, Jeff Agoos, Virginia; Armando Betancourt, Indiana; Richard Chinapoo, Long Island; Angelo DiBernardo, Indiana; Brad Friedel, UCLA; John Harkes, Virginia; Glenn Myernick, Hartwick; Farrukh Quraishi, SUNY Oneonta; Claudio Reyna, Virginia; and Al Trost, Saint Louis.

The NCAA Division I Men's Soccer 50th Anniversary coach is Indiana's Jerry Yeagley. Yeagley coached the Indiana men's soccer team from 1973-2003, during which he won six NCAA Championships and a Division I record 544 games.

Members selected to the anniversary team will be honored at the 2008 NCAA Men's College Cup in Frisco, Texas, at Pizza Hut Park on Dec. 12-14.