|Commencement is June 8-10.|
More than 3,500 students will take part in Cal Poly Pomona's 51st annual commencement ceremonies June 8 – 10.
The university holds eight different ceremonies representing each of its colleges and schools over the three-day span. All ceremonies will take place in the University Quad, adjacent to the Campus Center Marketplace (Building 97), and parking is free throughout commencement weekend.
Each college or school chooses a student to receive the Julian McPhee Award for Student Excellence. Similar to a valedictorian, these students are chosen for their stellar work throughout their college career at Cal Poly Pomona. Each student will also give a speech at their respective ceremonies.
The Julian McPhee Award for Student Excellence awardees are:
- Alison Marie Flanagan, College of Agriculture
- Maria V. Rivera, College of Business Administration
- Melanie Rene Sohn, College of Letters, Arts & Social Sciences
- Indriyani Lim, The Collins School of Hospitality Management
- Silvia Loera, College of Education & Integrative Studies
- Anatoly Yakovlev, College of Engineering
- Rita Garcia, College of Environmental Design
- David Craig Trotz, College of Science
Additionally, each college or school chooses an outstanding faculty member to carry out the honor of being mace bearer. The university's ceremonial mace represents its five major disciplines of learning basic to the curricula of the university: the arts, commerce, the humanities, the sciences, and technology. The mace is carried in the commencement processional.
The mace bearers are:
- Ed Cogger, College of Agriculture
- Susan Peters, College of Business Administration
- Charles Gossett, College of Letters, Arts & Social Sciences
- Bob Small, The Collins School of Hospitality Management
- Thienhuong Hoang, College of Education & Integrative Studies
- Chris Canepeel, College of Engineering
- Crystal Lee, College of Environmental Design
- Ernie Simpson, College of Science
The 2007 commencement schedule is as follows:
Friday, June 8
- 4 p.m. – College of Environmental Design
- 8 p.m. – The Collins School of Hospitality Management
Saturday, June 9
- 9 a.m. – College of Business Administration
- 4 p.m. – College of Engineering
- 7:30 p.m. – College of Agriculture
Sunday, June 10
- 10 a.m. – College of Letters, Arts & Social Sciences
- 4:30 p.m. – College of Science
- 7:30 p.m. – College of Education & Integrative Studies
All ceremonies will be webcast.
For more information, visit the Commencement 2007 Web site at http://www.cpp.edu/~commencement/.