Debra Brum Named VP for I & IT

Debra Brum Named VP for I & IT
Dr. Debra Brum

Debra Brum, who has led Instructional & Information Technology (I&IT) as interim vice president, has been named the new vice president for this division. Her appointment begins on July 1, 2006.

“The I&IT team has made some remarkable accomplishments over the past 14 months while addressing a number of important technical challenges for the campus, says Brum.  ”There remains much work ahead, and I am privileged to have an outstanding team of technology professionals working with me to achieve a vision of excellence for IT at Cal Poly Pomona.”

Brum began her interim appointment in I&IT in March 2005 when Michael Berman left the university to become senior vice president and chief technology officer at the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena.

As vice president for I&IT, Brum is responsible for campus technology, including voice and data infrastructure, support for use of technology in teaching and learning, computing classrooms and laboratories, and the university and division Web sites. She serves as vice chair of the IT Governance Executive Committee and assumes primary responsibility for campus information security. Brum manages a $7 million division budget and leads a staff of 70, supervising six departments  I&IT Applications, I&IT Learning, I&IT Operations, I&IT Support, I&IT Systems and I&IT Web Development.

“Debra has done a magnificent job in the interim role, building a strong sense of community and teamwork, says President Michael Ortiz.  This campus will rely on I&IT to play a major role in supporting our academic mission, and Debra is a perfect fit for leading that charge.”

Brum has worked at Cal Poly Pomona for the past 21 years, serving as associate provost, associate vice president for Faculty Affairs, administrator-in-charge of Academic Affairs, co-chair of the University Council of Chairs, chair and professor of Computer Science, and Mathematics and Computer Science lecturer.  She holds a doctorate in information and computer science from UC Irvine, a master's in computer science from Cal Poly Pomona, a masters in mathematics from Cal Poly Pomona and a bachelor's in mathematics from Michigan State University.