SUMMER SCHEDULE – A Message From President Michael Ortiz

SUMMER SCHEDULE - A Message From President Michael Ortiz
President Michael Ortiz

As I have said on many occasions, I have a tremendous respect and appreciation for the work performed by our staff.  During the difficult years of the budget crisis, you repeatedly took on greater work loads to support our academic mission.  The 9/80 summer schedule has been a benefit that we have extended in appreciation for all of your efforts.  

The Governor's Budget has called for an increase in enrollment requiring that Cal Poly Pomona become more of a year-round campus, focusing on meeting the needs of our students and attaining our enrollment target.  In order to accomplish this, there have been a number of discussions addressing our summer operation.  As a campus, we need to make the best use of our time and physical resources.

Over the past couple of years, we have been able to address most of our needs within the 9/80 summer schedule, but as enrollment requirements have increased, it has become more difficult. Not only do we serve our current students in the summer, but we also have over 5,000 students attending orientation sessions.  During these weeks of orientation, when we have thousands of students on campus, meeting the students' needs on Fridays has been a concern. Many department offices have only one staff person, and we have a large number of campus professionals who have never been able to benefit from the 9/80 schedule due to increased summer responsibilities.

Therefore, after a great deal of discussion and consultation, I have decided that we will no longer be able to offer the 9/80 summer schedule. This was not an easy decision, but one that I feel is in the best interest of the campus.  

Let me reiterate how proud I am of each of your contributions to student success.  Thank you for your understanding, continued commitment and dedication to Cal Poly Pomona.

Michael Ortiz

President