In Memoriam: I-Poly Chemistry Teacher Sharon Strauss

Sharon Strauss

Sharon Strauss, a chemistry teacher at International Polytechnic High School (I-Poly), died of from heart failure on Thursday, June 10. She was 52 years old.

A resident of Diamond Bar, Strauss taught at I-Poly for seven years. Strauss was a well-loved chemistry teacher, going beyond her assigned duties to work extra hours with students and serve as adviser for the senior class and the Christian Club. She was also a dedicated member of her church, the Evangelical Free Church of Diamond Bar, where she was instrumental in carrying out their missionary work at an orphanage in Kenya. Born in South Africa, Strauss was scheduled to leave for Kenya to work at the orphanage shortly after the I-Poly graduation this month.

?I-Poly and the Cal Poly Pomona campus family are deeply saddened by the loss of a beloved I-Poly High School teacher, friend and colleague, Sharon Strauss,? said Stefanie Saccoman, a lecturer in the College of Education & Integrative Studies, an I-Poly affiliate.

Strauss is survived by her husband, Michael, and daughter, Simone.

The International Polytechnic High School graduating class of 2004 dedicated their June 14 graduation ceremony to Strauss. At that time, the College of Education & Integrative Studies presented a rosebush and dedication plaque from her students and colleagues. The rosebush will later be planted permanently on a campus location.

A memorial service for Strauss is scheduled for Thursday, June 17, at 2 p.m. at the Evangelical Free Church of Diamond Bar, 3255 S. Diamond Bar Blvd. For more information, call the church at (909) 594-7604. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that those who wish to honor Strauss?s memory donate through her church to the Kenya Orphanage. Donations can be sent to: Evangelical Free Church of Diamond Bar, c/o Memory of Sharon Strauss, 3255 S. Diamond Bar Blvd., Diamond Bar, CA, 91765.