Ethnic & Women?s Studies Professor Honored by National Association for the Advancement of Colored People

Toni Humber, associate professor of Ethnic & Women?s Studies, received the Tribute to Black Women award from a local NAACP branch
for her contributions to understanding African-American history and her impact with young people.

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) San Gabriel Valley Branch recently awarded Toni Humber, associate professor of Ethnic & Women?s Studies, with the Tribute to Black Women award. Humber was honored for her contributions to understanding African-American history and her impact with young people.

She received the award at the group?s ?Tribute to Black Women Breakfast? on Saturday, March 27, at the Royal Vista Golf Club in Walnut.

?I am honored to be recognized for my life's work that I love,? said Humber, who was accompanied by her mother, sister and cousin. ?I know that my life's purpose is to be an educator ? I am grateful for the opportunities given to me so that I can positively impact the lives of students.?

Since 1995, Humber has taught a range of courses on African-American culture, history, experience and contemporary issues at Cal Poly Pomona. During a 2003 sabbatical, she studied African populations in Mexico and the influence of Africans on the Mexican heritage that has often been ignored. Her seminal work in this field was preceded by her work in 2001 through a Faculty Professional Development Mini-Grant that allowed her to study African populations in Panama.

Humber is involved in various campus activities and organizations. In celebration of Black History Month, she collaborated with the African American Student Center to lead a historical Tour of Black Los Angeles on March 6. In addition, Humber serves as the faculty liaison for the university?s Council of African-American Parents, a parent/community driven nonprofit organization. In this role, she has played a significant part in creating the CAAP Urban Collaborative Scholars program that helps to prepare high-achieving African-American students in the San Gabriel Valley for careers in higher education in the nation?s most competitive colleges and universities.

?Dr. Humber has the rare ability to extract from her students potential that they never knew existed,? said Marcus Beard, residence life coordinator in University Housing Services and a previous student of Humber?s, who helped present her award at the NAACP breakfast.

?She has the intelligence to challenge her students, but also the love and passion to equally support them,? he said. ?This challenge, coupled with support, provides an educational experience that would never be forgotten.?

This year, Humber was also awarded the Women of the African Diaspora Award from the city of Los Angeles Cultural Affairs Department and Cal Poly Pomona?s Diversity Champion Award.

?I have dedicated my life to elevating the consciousness, forging positive relations, and fostering self-love and pride among people of African descent,? she said. ?Every accomplishment we make is a tribute to the souls that paved the way for our successes.?