University Village Residents Evacuated Due to Natural Gas Leak


University Village Residents Evacuated Due to Natural Gas Leak
Firefighters watch as Gas Co. workers try to fix a broken gas main at University Village apartments. Construction workers inadvertantly damaged a gas pipe Feb. 12.

Residents in buildings one through seven of the University Village were evacuated Thursday afternoon, Feb. 12, when construction work broke a gas main, causing a leak of natural gas. No injuries were reported.

The leak occurred about 11:30 a.m. as a construction crew attempted to tie into an Edison line. The leak was plugged, then repaired by an emergency crew from the Gas Co. within a few hours.

The Los Angeles County Fire Department, University Police, University Parking Services and the University Village staff worked together to evacuate the seven buildings and direct detours.

In the meantime, some displaced students went to eat lunch and attend class. Another 20 or so watched “Happy Gilmore” in the Community Center.