New Look for Division of Instructional and Information Technology

Michael Berman, vice president of the division of I⁢, recently reorganized the functions and services in his division.
Pamela McQuesten, associate vice president (shown above), and Stephanie Doda, executive director, provide overall leadership for the six departments within I&IT.;
Denny Mosier is director of I⁢ Networks, a new department that serves the campus needs for voice and data networking.

A reorganization of functions and services in the division of Instructional and Information Technology (I⁢) promises improved technology services and increased awareness as to their availability.

?The campus community has told us that the profusion of departments, acronyms and programs has long been a source of confusion,? says Michael Berman, vice president of I&IT.; ?This effort represents the culmination of almost a year of planning to present a clearer and more unified set of services to the campus.?

The I⁢ division now includes six departments: Learning, Networks, Support, Systems, Applications and Projects. The functions and staff of areas formerly known as ITAC, Enterprise Computing, Telecommunications, the Faculty Computing Support Center, Instructional Design Studio and MediaVision are distributed throughout the six departments. Pamela McQuesten, associate vice president and Stephanie Doda, executive director, provide overall leadership for the departments. External relations for the division remains a function of Berman?s office and is directed by Mark Waters. More detailed information can be found at the newly updated division Web site at www.cpp.edu/~iit.

A brief overview of each new department follows:

• I⁢ Learning, directed by Susan Kullmann Puz, consolidates many of the services offered by the former Faculty Computing Support Center, MediaVision and the Instructional Design Studio. Now providing a wide range of creative services and digital technology workshops to faculty, staff and students, this department offers video production and streaming, Web development, WebCT, graphic design, audio recording, instructional design, writing (scripts, Web, etc.), photography, scanning, video editing and other digital media services focused primarily on learning and teaching applications. Later this year, the group will move into a new digital media lab and consultation center in the CLA Building.
  • I⁢ Support is directed by H?Sundiata Keita. This department manages the Help Desk, classroom digital and AV technology, student computer labs, technology and application training, computer system account administration and services documentation. As I⁢?s ?front line,? this department?s goal is to provide first-class customer service, resolving technology problems quickly. The Help Desk, recently relocated to the first floor in Building 1, provides a responsive single point of contact for the entire Cal Poly Pomona campus community for any issues or questions about instructional and information technology hardware, software and usage.
  • I⁢ Systems provides the hardware and software resources for campus-wide services such as user authentication, e-mail, the Web, databases, Banner, DARS and remote access. I⁢ Systems provides computer accounts for every member of the faculty, staff and student body, as well as personal and departmental file stores. A search for a director of this department will occur later this year.
  • I⁢ Networks, serves the campus needs for voice and data networking. Directed by Denny Mosier, I⁢ Networks handles all of the university?s telephone and Wide Area Networking (WAN) equipment and services. I⁢ Networks provides maintenance, upgrades and additions to voice and network infrastructure, data network routers and switches, the university?s Private Branch Exchange (PBX) telephone switch, voice mail system, video infrastructure, call accounting and call fraud investigation. I⁢ Networks staff maintains more than 3,500 voice connections and more than 14,000 data networking ports. This unit also houses the campus information operators, who answer questions from the public and transfers outside callers to the correct faculty or staff member on campus.
  • I⁢ Projects coordinates, plans and directs the day-to-day activities of inter-divisional technology projects. Carol Heins-Gonzales manages the external consultants, and campus technical and functional resources assigned to these projects. The primary project of this department is the implementation of Common Management System (CMS) PeopleSoft. This enterprise software system will manage data and communications for a wide range of human resource, finance, and student administration functions when it is fully implemented in fall quarter 2004. The other major project of this team is the Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS), which will systematically assess a student?s progress toward his or her degree as well as evaluate a student?s transfer credit and perform pre-requisite checking.
  • I⁢ Applications, directed by Thomas Adamski, supports the centralized information systems used across the campus. The main software applications supported include SCT Banner, the primary student information system; PeopleSoft, scheduled to fully replace SCT Banner in 2004; and Interactive Voice Response (IVR), allowing students to register for classes, pay fees, obtain grades, determine admissions status and access other general information. The 18 staff members provide technical services in the areas of software maintenance and enhancements, database administration, operating system administration, batch processing and computer operations. I⁢ Applications works directly with the management and staffs of departments on campus, and coordinates activities closely with I⁢ Systems and Networks.