Paul Thomas Selected to Serve On WBCA Board Of Directors

Paul Thomas, head women's basketball coach at Cal Poly Pomona
Cal Poly Pomona's Leah Whatley hugs head coach Paul Thomas after their win over Western Washington in the finals of the west regional of the NCAA Division II women's basketball playoffs.

After guiding Cal Poly Pomona to back-to-back national championships, Paul Thomas is being asked to provide his input as one of four new members elected to the Women?s Basketball Coaches Association?s Board of Directors.

Thomas will be representing the NCAA Division II/Group II and will replace Deirdre Kane of West Chester University. His term will last three years and end in 2005.

?One of the reasons I wanted to run for the Board of Directors is that it?s a way of learning more about what happens in the inner-workings of women?s basketball,? Thomas said. ?I think that gives me, and hopefully Division II coaches, an opportunity to have a better understanding. At the Division II level, we want to make sure that we boost our enrollment in the WBCA.?

Thomas, entering his ninth year as the head coach at Cal Poly Pomona, was named 2002 national Coach of the Year by the WBCA after leading the Broncos to a 28-4 record and a second straight championship. The Broncos are 168-63 in his first eight years as the head coach, 104-16 over the past four seasons.

?By increasing awareness among my Division II counterparts and strengthening the enrollment in the WBCA, that in turn strengthens our voice at the Division II level,? Thomas said. ?Sometimes, if we are not heard, then we get pushed aside. With my contacts in Division II, hopefully I can get on the telephone and communicate with them and then we can collectively tackle some issues that we feel are important.?

?We are rejuvenated each year when new members are elected to serve on the WBCA Board of Directors,? said WBCA CEO Beth Bass. ?This year, we welcome four coaches (Thomas, Duffy Burns of Cleveland State, Terri Mitchell from Marquette and Cathy Parson of Howard) who I know are as excited to come in and work hard on the issues facing the game of women?s basketball as we are to have them aboard.?

?I am pleased to welcome Duffy, Terri, Cathy and Paul to the Board of Directors,? said WBCA Board of Directors President Marsha Sharp, the head coach at Texas Tech. ?I know that based on my conversations with them, they are enthusiastic and will do a wonderful job for us and the game of women?s basketball.?